Brexit | Travelling to Europe After A No Deal Brexit

Sep 10, 2019

Visiting Europe after Brexit

Stay up to date

A Brexit deal has been agreed in principle with the EU. Both the UK and the EU need to approve and sign the withdrawal agreement.If the withdrawal agreement is not signed by the UK and the EU, the UK could still leave with no deal on 31 October 2019.We have been advised by the Department of Transport that there will be changes that may affect you travelling to Europe in the event of a no-deal Brexit.
We will continually update this page with the latest Brexit related travel information. However, please be advised to check the Government website for the latest information on a regular basis if you are planning to travel or are travelling into Europe in the immediate future.
You can sign up to get email alerts from the Government to get the latest information.
You can also get travel advice for the country you’re visiting, including local information about travel, laws and customs, and money.

Passports: Check if you need to renew

Did you know you may need to renew your British passport earlier if you’re travelling after Brexit.
On the day you travel, your passport will need to:
• have at least 6 months’ validity
• be less than 10 years old (even if it has 6 months or more left)
If you do not renew your passport, you may not be able to travel to most EU countries and Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.
If you are unsure if your passport will allow you to travel, you can use a Government tool to check whether your passport is valid for the country you’re visiting.
Please note, it usually takes 3 weeks to renew your passport. Although, there is a premium service if you need it sooner.
These rules do not apply to travel to Ireland. You can continue to use your passport as long as it’s valid for the length of your stay.

Healthcare: Check you’re covered

You should always get appropriate travel insurance with healthcare cover before you go abroad.
After Brexit your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) card may not be valid.
It’s particularly important you get travel insurance with the right cover if you have a pre-existing medical condition. This is because the EHIC scheme covers pre-existing conditions, while many travel insurance policies do not.
You can read advice on buying travel insurance with the right cover.


There may be changes after Brexit. What these are depend on how you’re travelling.
However you travel, check before you leave for any delays or disruption.

Flights, ferries, cruises, Eurostar and Eurotunnel, bus and coach services

After Brexit, the following will be able to run as before:
• flights
• ferries and cruises
• the Eurostar and Eurotunnel
• bus and coach services between the UK and the EU
If you’re flying:
• airport security procedures will not change for direct flights to and from the UK
• there should not be delays at airport security if you change flights in EU airports
Bus and coach services to non-EU countries, for example Switzerland or Andorra, may be effected and as a result may not be able to run. The government is working to make sure that these continue to run with minimal or no disruption. Please check the Government website for updates or contact your dedicated travel consultant if you have any further questions.

Entering other countries

Visas: you should not need one for short trips

After Brexit, you will not need a visa for short trips, according to European Commission proposals. You could stay for up to 90 days in any 180-day period. You may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, or to work or study.
Please check the Government website for updates.
When the rules are confirmed, information about how to get a visa if you need one will be on each country’s travel advice page.
Travel to Ireland will not change after Brexit.

Border control: you may have to show your return ticket and money

At border control, you may need to:
• show a return or onward ticket
• show you have enough money for your stay
• use separate lanes from EU, EEA and Swiss citizens when queueing

Other Brexit changes

You’ll need to declare cash of £10,000 or more (or the equivalent in another currency) if you take it between the UK and any other country.
If you’re a business:
• you may need to make a customs declaration if you take goods with you to sell abroad or use for business
• find out what else you need to do to prepare your business for Brexit
For further details on any of the above and for information regarding; driving, travel insurance policies, pet travel, mobile data roaming or if your travel company goes out of business, please visit the Government website.


The people choice for corporate travel solutions

Connect, discover and enjoy everything the UK has to offer

NEW flexible booking terms

Receive a 100% no-quibble refund, or a free transfer to another departure of your choice, if we cancel your holiday due to Covid-19.