Commuter coach etiquette
The following list of hints, tips and general information has been compiled to ensure that each of our passengers has a relaxing journey. Some of these suggestions have been added at the request of passengers.
In order to help ensure the safety of our customers and staff, you must until further notice whenever travelling with us:
- Smoking is not permitted at any time.
- Wear a face covering when travelling on our vehicles
- Keep one metre plus apart from other customers where possible when queuing for the vehicle and/or follow seat allocations and instructions from our staff on maintaining social distancing; and – stay in your chosen seat for the entire journey and only use the toilet when it is unavoidable
- You may be refused entry on-board the vehicle if you do not have an appropriate face covering, or you may be asked to leave the vehicle if you persistently fail to comply with these rules. Please note that you shall not be entitled to a refund if you do not have and/or fail to wear the face covering as directed following Government advice
- Prior to boarding the vehicle, the driver or another member of staff may take your temperature remotely to ascertain if you are demonstrating a symptom of Covd-19. We shall not record or retain this data. The driver may refuse you travel if you (A) provide a temperature reading of 38C or higher; or (b) refuse to have your temperature taken. – please note that these measures do not apply to those who have a physical or mental disability which would impact on or prevent those individuals from complying with such measures.
- We would advise you to make the Commuter Team aware of this before your journey via firstname.lastname@example.org; so that they can make the driver aware that you will be travelling without a face covering. – if you already wear a face-covering for religious purposes, provided it covers your mouth and nose, you will not be required to wear any additional protective coverings
- Please note that the requirement to wear a face covering shall not apply to children below the age of 11.
- Animals are not permitted to travel on our vehicles unless they are assistance animals. Please let us know in advance if you will be travelling with an assistance animal.
- Personal belongings should not be placed on the seat next to you. Lightweight items only may be placed in the overhead rack. Briefcases and other property of that nature should be placed on the floor within your seat space. Large items of luggage weighing no more than 20kg will be accommodated in the luggage hold on request to the driver. Nothing may be allowed to obstruct gangways or exits and very large quantities of luggage may not be carried except by prior arrangement.
- Only employees of National Express Transport Solutions are permitted to use the courier seat.
- Passengers should not speak to the driver or otherwise distract him/her whilst the vehicle is in motion.
- Passengers should familiarise themselves with the emergency exits onboard the vehicles.
- Please refrain from consuming any foods/ drinks with a pungent smell whilst onboard the vehicle.
- Please keep the use of mobile phones onboard the vehicle to a minimum. Telephone conversations should be conducted quietly and phones put in silent mode so as not to disturb others.
- If you are planning to sleep onboard the coach please do not obstruct the spare seat next to you by either placing your belongings on it or by sitting in the aisle seat.
- For your safety please remain seated until the vehicle comes to a stop.
- Coach passengers are legally required to wear seat belts. Failure to do so could lead to a £30 fixed penalty fine issued by the authorities which can increase up to £500 if the case goes to court.
- If using the recline function on your seat please ensure you are not impeding the comfort of the passenger behind you.
- If paying for a ticket onboard the vehicle with cash please ensure you have the correct money. Any change due must be collected from our office in person.
- Each of our vehicles is fitting with satellite tracking so that you can access real-time information about the location and progress of your coach. You can view our tracking on your computer, PDA or download our iPhone/iPad app.
- A valid ticket must be carried with you on each journey. Without one you will be charged for that journey.
- The driver or any of National Express Transport Solutions managerial or supervisory staff are empowered to carry out ticket checks onboard our coaches. Any forgeries or dubious tickets will be confiscated from you, you will not be permitted to travel and may face questioning from the Police.
- The driver or any of National Express Transport Solutions managerial or supervisory staff is empowered to require a passenger to leave the coach should their behaviour be a danger to themselves or a danger or nuisance to other passengers or a danger to other road users. Such behaviour shall include the consumption of alcohol, noise from any instrument, radio or recorded sound player, unpleasant language and threatening behaviour.
- Please keep the volume of personal music players (such as MP3 players) to a minimum to avoid disturbing other passengers around you.
- Please respect your neighbours by keeping noise at the bus stop to a minumum, especially in the early hours.
- Please be mindful of others onboard and keep conversations at a low volume.
- For safety reasons please do not obstruct the coach aisle. Bags must not be hung on arm rests and should instead be stored on the floor by your feet or in the overhead racks. Obstruction of the aisle could impede your evacuation or the evacuation of other passengers in an emergency situation.
Please be aware that due to the widespread use of the London bus stops we use by various transport service providers we are unable to implement queuing systems for customers. We ask that all passengers treat each other with respect and kindness whilst waiting at bus stops and when boarding vehicles.
Please refrain from putting feet up on the chairs as the seats will need to be used by other passengaes boarding the coach during the AM and/or PM services.